Grand Finals

Saturday Coffs Harbour

7:00pm – North Coast Hotel Group Premier League

Men’s Premier League: Coffs United Lions 4-2 Urunga Raiders

The highly anticipated NCHG Premier League Grand Final was fiery from kick-off, with the 1000 strong crowd creating an intense and exciting atmosphere to get the best out of the players. Urunga Raiders were on the back-foot for the first passages of the game, as Coffs United came out with more intensity.

Urunga were expecting it though, and stuck to their defensive structure. The Raiders then managed some of their own attacking possession in an even opening 20 minutes.

The game needed a touch of magic to separate the sides, and in the 17th minute Deng Mayak delivered. Against the run of play at the time, Mayak took the ball on the bounce from 40 yards out, and spotting Raiders’ gloveman Ben Sonter off his line, he lobbed the ball into the back of the net, giving the United supporters something to cheer about.

The Raiders’ didn’t drop their heads, and after a flurry of chances created by the dynamic midfield of Kale Hopper, Ben Dooley and Grant Holmes; Fabrice Wamara capitalised on some poor Lion’s defending to bring Urunga level in the 36th minute.

But despite drawing level, Urunga were clearly struggling to keep up with the frantic pace that Coffs set. Deng Mayak and Nick Lambert were closing down everything, and Scott Goddard and Nick Mallet were working hard behind them.

Mayak got his second goal just before half time to restore Coffs United’s deserved lead.

After the break Coffs United looked even stronger, and Deng Mayak, in search of his hat-trick, was just as energetic as he was in the first 45.

He bagged his third in the 57th minute, a good header following a pin-point cross from winger Caleb Lokpo. Gum Mayak came on in the 60th minute, and added even more spark to an already lit United attack.

Not long after the change, Nick Mallet was sent off for a second bookable offence, leaving Coffs United with just 10 men for 20 minutes of the game. And whilst Urunga were able to add another goal to bring the deficit back to 4-2, they couldn’t find their way back.

4:50pm – North Coast Hotel Group Women’s Premier League

Women’s Premier League: Boambee Eagles 6-1 Maclean Bobcats

Boambee Eagles played Maclean Bobcats in the first NCHG Premier League Grand Final of the night, and within 15 minutes four goals were scored, Boambee leading 3-1.

It was an end-to-end game, and Maclean looked dangerous on the counter, but for the most part Boambee’s defence stood strong. After the frenetic first 15, the game came to a lull, with both sides still looking to attack but taking more care going forward. After the restart Boambee continued their dominace to win the match 6-1, capping off another big year having won the Premiership and now the Grand Final.

2:50pm – Men’s Reserves

Men’s Reserves: Urunga Raiders 4-1 Maclean Bobcats

Maclean Bobcats met Urunga Raiders in the Men’s Reserve Grade Final, the Raiders winning 4-1. Maclean managed to hold Urunga for the first half hour, but eventually the opposition were too strong.

12:15pm – 2nd Div Men’s and Women’s Reserve Grade Final

2nd Div Men’s: Sawtell Scorpions 3-2 Bellingen Bats (Extra Time)

In Men’s 2nd Division, Sawtell Scorpions and Bellingen Bats have battled it out all year, and were almost inseparable at the top of the table. They met in the Grand Finals, and were again inseparable for the first 90 minutes, the FT score 2-2. The match went into extra-time, and with the last kick of the game Matt Parker scored a great goal to give Sawtell the win.

In the Women’s Reserves, Northern Storm were runaway champions and beat Coffs United convincingly winning 4-0.

Women’s Reserves: Northern Storm 4-0 Coffs United Lionesses

10am – 3rd Div Men’s Grand Final, 2nd Div Women’s Grand Final

Dorrigo Cedars beat Orara Valley 4-2 in the Women’s second division Grand Final, in a very entertaining and surprisingly composed game of football. Orara were trailing 4-1 for most of the second half, and got a late goal to help their chances, but it proved to be too late as they went down 4-2.

2nd Div Women’s: Orara Valley 4-2 Dorrigo Cedars

Corindi and Northern Storm couldn’t be separated in 120 minutes of play, so the match went to penalties. Storm were more clinical from the spot and won the match 4-2 in penalties.

3rd Div Men’s: Corindi Breakers (2) 1-1 (4) Northern Storm (Extra Time)

Friday Night Coffs Harbour

In the first fixtures of the night, U17 Boys Sawtell Scorpions beat Boambee Bombers 4-1. On the other field, U16 girls Woolgoolga United beat Sawtell Scorpions 2-0.

U17 Boys: Sawtell Scorpions 4-1 Boambee Bombers

U16 Girls: Woolgoolga United 2-0 Sawtell Scorpions

The second round of fixtures kicked off at 8pm – Men’s O’35s and Women’s O’30s. Coffs United played defending champions Sawtell Spirit in the Men’s game, though Coffs were obvious favourites as they went through the season undefeated.

Coffs United won the Men’s O’35s game 4-0, and the Lionesses won the Women’s O30’s game 10-0.

O35’s Coffs United 4-0 Sawtell Spirit

Coffs United Lionesses 10-0 Corindi Waves

Friday Night Clarence

In the Clarence, the Under 15/16s Boys Final was played on Friday night. Yamba Breakers and Grafton United played each other, and were locked at 1-1 at full time, forcing the game into extra time. Yamba scored the winner in the first half of extra time, winning the match 2-1.

Yamba Breakers 2-1 Grafton United